FDI Clinical Research is a center with state-of-the-art facilities that comprise medical treatment for multiple conditions, a 30-bed phase I unit, an in-house bioanalytical laboratory, multispecialty experienced personnel, and the latest in medical technology. We have successfully completed hundreds of FDA-regulated clinical trials sponsored by numerous pharmaceutical companies. Our site has enrolled thousands of patients in chronic hepatitis C clinical trials alone.
Located in San Juan, Puerto Rico,
FDI Clinical Research is a center
with state-of-the-art facilities
We are also an active medical care facility for patients with diverse medical ailments including liver diseases; metabolic disorders such as diabetes, hypertension and lipidemias; oncology and hematology, neurologic, musculoskeletal and infectious diseases. Our facilities include nurse stations, medical offices, exam rooms and chemotherapy or infusion chairs. We also have a complete research pharmacy with a clean room for the preparation of chemotherapy and investigational drugs.
FDI moved to its new facilities at 998 Muñoz Rivera, Río Piedras on July 2010. These facilities were the result of many months of careful discussion, design and location selection.
We increased from 3,000 sq. ft. to 20,000 sq. ft. in working space, adding the only Phase 1 facility in Puerto Rico and the only Bio-Analytical Laboratory. The facilities were designed to permit both medical care and clinical research, and to comply with all FDA and Federal Research Regulations.
To become a worldwide engine in Clinical Research, performing and developing innovative clinical trials and medications in multiple therapeutic areas.
To conduct innovative clinical research by our expert health-professional team, providing an environment to ensure enrollment targets and the highest-level of quality, following ethical standards and contributing to the wellbeing of our population
To fulfill our Purpose and achieve our Vision, we abide by the enduring values that are the foundation of our business.
- Patient Focus: We are deeply committed to meeting the needs of our patients, and we constantly focus on their welfare and safety.
- Respect for People: We recognize that people are the cornerstone of Fundación success, we value our diversity as a source of strength, and we are proud of Fundación history of treating employees with respect and dignity.
- Innovation:: is the key to improving health and developing new therapies. To be part of early development of therapies is key for Fundación to sustain growth and profitability.
- Teamwork: We know that to be a successful company we must work together, to meet the changing needs of our patients and the new paradigms for treatment.
- Integrity: We demand of ourselves and others the highest ethical standards, and our procedures and performance to be of the highest quality.
- Community: We play an active role in making the community in which we operate a better place to live and work, knowing that its ongoing vitality has a direct impact on the long-term health of our business.
- Performance: We strive for continuous improvement in our performance, measuring results carefully, and ensuring that integrity and respect for people are never compromised.
- Leadership: We believe that leaders empower those around them by sharing knowledge and rewarding outstanding individual efforts. Leaders are those who step forward to achieve difficult goals, envisioning what needs to happen and motivating others.
- Quality: Quality is ingrained in the work of our colleagues and all our Values. We are dedicated to the delivery of quality healthcare in our community and to the discovery of better and safer therapies. Our business practices and processes are designed to achieve quality results that exceed the expectations of all of our stakeholders.
Clinical Trial Sponsors
Clinical Research Organizations (CRO)
Institutional Review Boards (IRB)
In 2009, joined FDI Clinical Research, a private clinical research center to foster more research in Puerto Rico. In 2011, returned to the Department of Biochemistry where he is member of the Academic Senate and Graduate Coordinator. With Dr. Raul Mayo designed the graduate course entitled: From Mendel to Collins: History and Philosophy of the Genetic Code. He was named Acting Chancellor at the UPR-Medical Sciences Campus from May 2013 until Jan 2014. Dr. Rodriguez Orengo leads the state-of-the-art Bioanalytical laboratory at FDI where multiple analytical assays have been developed and validated complimenting FDI clinic to become a one-stop-shop for pharmaceutical companies. Numerous investigator initiated research projects are underway at FDI. As FDI new CEO, he has the vision of integration and collaboration among different entities towards a common goal of promoting Puerto Rico as a premier location for clinical research.
She started in FDI in 2006 as a clinical Study Coordinator for trials in different therapeutic areas as hepatitis C and oncology, and also conducted phase I trials with pharmacokinetics and pharmacogenetics specialty and experience. Then she created and directed the Quality Control Program where she implemented different operational standards and in-house audit programs.
Since 2011 she has become part of the executive team in FDI as the Clinical Operations Director where she supervises daily operational procedures at the center and part of the clinical team. She is in charge of the ongoing process of all clinical trials including phase I, II, III and IV trials, budget negotiations and contracts as well as programming monitor’s and auditor’s visits from different sponsors and FDA. Actually she is also Co-Director of the Quality Control Program and team she helped to design. She also collaborated in different manuscripts and abstracts directed by our founder Dr. Maribel Rodríguez-Torres.
Earning a solid reputation
John McHutchison, Senior Vice President, Liver Disease Therapeutics, Gilead Sciences
I have worked closely with Dr. Rodríguez-Torres and her unit for more than a decade. I remain continually impressed by their level of service, professionalism and approach to the science and the partnership. Their commitment to patients is clear across every aspect of their work. Our team works very well with the hepatology group at Fundación de Investigación and they have helped us effectively advance key clinical trials in a competitive and fast moving therapeutic area.
Jan Hillson, Medical Director, ZymoGenetics/Bristol Myers Squibb
It has been a great pleasure to work with Fundación de Investigación during the critical studies conducted by ZymoGenetics; indeed your participation has been critical to our success. Your group is serving a large number of high-needs patients in San Juan, so it has access to populations with uncommon diseases. Your facility has capacity for FIH studies, intense PK profiling, as well and long-term clinical assessment. Your staff is highly trained and equally highly motivated to provide outstanding care, detailed and careful documentation, and very rapid response to sponsor concerns and questions. As importantly, your knowledge and insights have informed our protocols and development plans.
Dr. Ignacio Pino, President, CDI Laboratories
From the biomedical sciences industry perspective, Fundación de Investigación has a combination of talent, expertise and vision that make it a world-class organization.
Linda Wasserman, Principal CRA, CRO, PPD
Fundación de Investigación is a modern research facility with a dedicated, experienced and well-trained staff. This site is at the top of the list to contact for clinical trial participation when our sponsors want qualified, experienced, and reliable investigators to conduct their trials.
Shyamasundaran Kottilil MD., Ph.D., Staff Physician, NIH/NIAID/LIR
I have had the opportunity to work with Dr. Maribel Rodríguez-Torres and Fundación de Investigación in several collaborative projects. Without any doubt, they are one of the best collaborators we have ever worked with. They are the most professional, organized and wonderful group of collaborators to work with. The staff is cordial and passionate about every aspect of patient care and understands the role of clinical research as a way to move science forward. It is no surprise that Dr. Rodríguez-Torres has reflected upon her staff excellent, selfless leadership that has transformed Fundación de Investigación as one of the leaders in hepatitis research worldwide.